Lots of stuff to report. Wow. Where to begin?
First, pretty pictures. We have 3 new Pinzgauer variations…well, you guys found 2 of them early when I accidentally published the Pinzgauer variations page, but I’ve added a third scheme to that page as of this morning, a blue Transcargo freight shuttle scheme:
More details here: Pinzgauer Variations
Okay, let’s move on to the new project framework. I spent yesterday implementing some pretty big upgrades/enhancements and testing them. To begin with, I had this sudden epiphany that if I made a few changes to the project framework, it could also power a regular store. I actually set up a testing page to proof that idea the other day, but you guys found it before I announced it. 😆
I had to implement a fix for cases where a supporter had a PayPal email address that was different from the email address they prefer to receive mail at. My solution was to set up an aliasing table in the database where I could establish old-to-new email pairings, and wrote a function that does a quick lookup that returns the correct email. This should ensure that your files and notifications are sent to your preferred email address after your first order, provided you inform me that you’d like your email to be different, of course. I would like to automate this at some point with a self-service dealie like the Discountron. Speaking of which…
The Discountron was originally supposed to be an interim, transitional sort of thing that brought old supporters across from the old clunky WordPress crowdfunding plugin to the new infrastructure, and the plan was that once everybody had used up their promo code balances, I would drop the Discountron and move away from cart buttons to buy-now buttons. So, it had its own database table and didn’t keep track of ongoing balances (that was actually done by polling Digital Delivery App directly). However, the idea that the project infrastructure could simultaneously power a conventional storefront with only a few changes made me reconsider. I then decided to simply integrate it fully into the infrastructure–it’s fully updated between transactions and can now be used to check your current balance. That brings us to…
I had also set up a rebate system. The original intent of this was so that supporters could acquire the requested variations at a lower price than someone who missed the support boat, but 2 more realizations hit me shortly afterwards: I ought to tie it directly into the existing discount system so people only need one code and they can stack rebates, and the other thing was that it’s a nifty way to deal with bundles because each additional scheme after the first is discounted by the rebates from earlier purchases. And you can keep track of it all via the Discountron. This took most of my day yesterday.
Speaking of the “it can also power a store” feature. I extended the database structure to accommodate 2 different presentation methods, then created a basic product block. I can choose between a regular crowdfunded project with the meter and multiple levels of support, or I can opt for a sort of catalog view where each support level is a standalone product that belongs to the same theme, or I can even split the difference and do a hybrid view. The things I can do with something like this are pretty cool. The Pinzgauer page at the beginning of this post is an example of the store-style presentation.
You guys might have also noticed a slicker, more updated look to the product blocks, project meters, and the Discountron. That was another thing I spent most of last night on–I created a pluggable widget that displays a single product. The project meter and Discountron are also pluggable widgets. So, even if I change my blog software or decide to go back to using a regular website, it’s all portable.
Okay, on to models. I’ve updated the Pinzgauer machine cutting files to fix Frame 42, which had some issues. There were also 3 extra blank pages in the VT-3M model PDFs, which I have also taken care of and updated. So if you need those files, go ahead and grab ’em again.
I don’t think there are any more major or semi-major bugs with the infrastructure at this point, so I think it’s safe to get back to work on the spaceport stuff.
It’s past my bedtime. I’m going to go ahead and upload the new updated Pinzgauer files to WWG, then I’m going to bed.